I've recently been thinking about what happens after COVID-19. When the lockdown ends, how should churches and ministries help people connect with Jesus and His Word?
Here are five brief thoughts about Bible engagement after COVID-19:
1. Building trust with people. The pandemic has stirred up nervousness and anxiety. People are more concerned than usual about what they can or can't do and who they can or can't trust. Innate suspicions about the Bible may therefore increase. The big challenge on the back end of the virus will be to earn the trust of not-yet Christians. This won't happen overnight. It will be mainly through building relational trust that we'll get opportunities to share the Word.
2. Reconfiguring the presentation of the Bible. Both community and technology need to be prioritized. After COVID-19, people will be looking to personalize truth through online means. The ways in which we invite participation and interaction with the Bible will be critical to successful connections being made. We must invite people to engage their character, identity and imagination with the Bible. As author Thomas Hohstadt suggests, to do this, "We must risk transcending the environment we're in ... turning our backs on the pious paraphrases of the past ... separating the mutable from the immutable."
3. Interactive communities. Interactivity will be highly valued after the pandemic, but with some social distancing. After COVID-19, we'll be living in a new age of connectivity where we'll network online in relationally interdependent frameworks in which there is a participatory flow of imaginative reason and metaphor. Strategies or approaches to Bible engagement after the pandemic should thus facilitate the means to invite and cultivate ways for individuals to interact with the Bible and each other as virtual communities.
4. New media or technology. People need to get up close and personal with the Bible when they use new media or technology. We must continue exploring and creating innovative online ways to connect people with the Bible. Flexible use of time and space is required that will reach people anywhere, at any time, and every way. High-tech advancements are not an option; they're a necessity. We must upgrade the technology harnessed to connect people during COVID-19 to facilitate easier, faster, immersive connections.
5. "To infinity ... and beyond." Buzz Lightyear's classic line, "To infinity ... and beyond" reminds us that there are no limits. As germophobes and risk-averse people retreat to the safety of their homes, we must find ways to connect them effectively with the Scriptures. In the changed world after COVID-19 we'll need to be smarter at how we engage people with the Bible.
How can we enhance connectivity with God's story through virtual reality or other means? What methods will connect people living in an uncertain world with the certainty of the Word? While we don't have all the answers, God will reveal them to us. So, let's explore every option for connecting people with Jesus and His story.
Dr. Lawson Murray is a director, teacher and writer in Pickering, Ontario, Canada. He joined the Scripture Union Canada staff in September 2010 and enthusiastically invites people of all ages to connect with Jesus and His story.
For the original article, visit jumpintotheword.com
Get Spirit-filled content delivered right to your inbox! Click here to subscribe to our newsletter.
Help Charisma stay strong for years to come as we report on life in the Spirit. Become an integral part of Charisma’s work by joining Charisma Media Partners. Click here to keep us strong!
Dr. Mark Rutland's
National Institute of Christian Leadership (NICL)
The NICL is one of the top leadership training programs in the U.S. taught by Dr. Mark Rutland. If you're the type of leader that likes to have total control over every aspect of your ministry and your future success, the NICL is right for you!
FREE NICL MINI-COURSE - Enroll for 3-hours of training from Dr. Rutland's full leadership course. Experience the NICL and decide if this training is right for you and your team.Do you feel stuck? Do you feel like you’re not growing? Do you need help from an expert in leadership? There is no other leadership training like the NICL. Gain the leadership skills and confidence you need to lead your church, business or ministry. Get ready to accomplish all of your God-given dreams. CLICK HERE for NICL training dates and details.
The NICL Online is an option for any leader with time or schedule constraints. It's also for leaders who want to expedite their training to receive advanced standing for Master Level credit hours. Work through Dr. Rutland's full training from the comfort of your home or ministry at your pace. Learn more about NICL Online. Learn more about NICL Online.